The third week of the new year will be a full one for Luther. Even if there is no more tragic surprises like the new Walmart abandoning our town, there will be plenty of news to cover.
Here’s a partial TO DO list. Please add to it in the comments if you know of anything else …
- Monday: Martin Luther King Day: School is out. Bank, library and post office are closed. Any MLK remembrances around town? It’s always great to reflect on Dr. King’s speech of 1963:
“Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.
And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.”
- Monday Night: FFA and 4H Dinner & Auction at the high school. Proceeds fund February’s Local Livestock Show and Farmhand Olympics. Dinner is at 6pm.
- Taco Tuesday: Tres Locas – “Crazy Good Food” opened last week. Check out our newest restaurant located at the Sugar Shack building on Ash.
- Tuesday night: Luther Lions Basketball is home versus Jones. Go Lions.
- Wednesday: 7 pm. Organizing meeting of Citizens Against the Eastern Oklahoma County Turnpike, State Theater in Harrah.
- Thursday afternoon: LEDA (Luther Economic Development) meeting
- Thursday evening: Special Meeting of the Town Board to consider the consent docket (bills) that were not approved at last week’s meeting.
- Friday night. It’ll be catfish night at Josephine’s cafe downtown. Open until 8 pm. (Open every morning early if you want to catch the real news of the town and keep your coffee cup full).
- There will also be some checking in with local leaders and state politicians who claimed they would make some calls to fill the void Walmart is leaving by abruptly closing the store on Jan. 28. Did you notice the shelves are already emptying? Meantime, remember the S&H Mercantile downtown is locally owned (and you know their pizza is fantastic).
- Looking for signs: Candidate Jennifer Edmunson is putting campaign signs throughout the school district as the School Board Election Campaign heats up. Voting is on February 9. Steven Broudy says his signs are ordered and on the way.
- Make it a good week.